Saturday 16 May 2015

Better late than never. Tim's Tag for March

Well, I finally got around to doing a tag based on the March tutorial. i wasn't inspired by it at the time, and didn't have the big butterfly stamp that he used, but the empty peg on my tag board was annoying me 


so I thought I'd better get on and do it.  I followed the first steps to colour the tag with distress paint dabblers.  He used several colours, and so did I. But whilst he ended up with a nicely defined brightly coloured tag, mine ended up all muddy and yuck.  I used the brightest colours I had (picked raspberry, mowed lawn, salty ocean, wild honey and dusty Concorde) but... Just mush. Don't know what I'm doing wrong. :-(
I dried it off, but still wasn't happy so gave it a couple of squirts with Dylusions ink sprays which helped brighten things up somewhat.  I then used a dragonfly stamp to emboss the tag and made a mask so I could add the texture paste but it all went horribly wrong when I added the gold embossing powder though. I only had Pirate gold' gold powder, but it's very dull gold so just made a dull tag even worse.  So I gave up on it at that point.
Dull, dull, dull.

Okay, so what to do? I liked the brightness of the Dylusions spay, so sprayed 4 colours on my craft sheet and dragged a new tag through them. Hurrah! fresh lime, after midnight, vibrant turquoise and bubblegum pink are VERY zingy colours and looked fabulous.  I tried embossing a compass on the tag in using a compass mini mask, but it was a bit messy so I cut and embossed a movers and shapers globe die cut using distress pens (mermaid lagoon, mowed lawn and black soot) and placed this over the compass, raised up on foam tape. I used a map mask to add texture paste, and used metallic green embossing powder over the top of this.  The charms I used were the little airplane, a loop pin, a '3' for March and a word band tied on with string that I stained to match the theme.  It needed something to contrast all the deep colours so I found s travel related 'small talk' phrase and stuck that on.  
I'm quite chuffed with the end result. I like the way the plane looks like it is flying high over 'fields' below.


I put the globe off to one side for interest and raised it on foam tape for depth.


That's better..!

1 comment:

  1. Haha! Love the narrative! So glad that you didn't give up and kept going. Both tags are lovely and don't look "muddy". Or did you just go over the first tag and create only 1 tag? I love the end results! The globe is awesome sauce! ~Niki

    ReplyDelete